Friday, September 05, 2008

Crazy!

So, it all started 3 days ago when Jason began to complain that he wasn't "seeing right". (OK, it actually started about 1 week ago when he started getting a cold, but nothing severe developed until 3 days ago.) Then yesterday he confirmed that he was actually having vertical double vision. That is never good and represents something going on with the cranial nerves, so he headed straight in to see the neuro-opthalmologist. After a thorough exam, they diagnosed him with a 4th cranial nerve palsy and ordered an MRI. The MRI was done this morning and about 5pm they called to tell him that he had an orbital pseudotumor. Now, don't fret - it isn't a tumor! It is called pseduo because it acts like a tumor but there is nothing cancerous going on here. It is caused by severe inflammation in the orbit and in Jason's case a part of the brain. We are hopeful that this is a result of a serious sinus infection. Apparently, the MRI showed some horrible sinus infection that has gone crazy spreading into his orbit and cavernous sinus (part of the brain.)
For now, Jason is sporting a saaaweeet eye patch because if he only looks out of his left eye he doesn't have the double vision and his right eye doesn't hurt quite as badly. He is taking his antibiotics and we are having fun telling a lot of pirate jokes. We'll keep you posted but for now, here's a picture to make you smile - it makes me laugh out loud! Arrrrgh!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok--so after the initial shock when i read "tumor", i had a good laugh. awesome patch--should have sported the bandana and hook as well! J/K glad it's nothing serious, but who heard of a sinus infection getting that crazy?? there must be a bad bug because i've been laid up since last Friday and I'm on antibiotics right now too--at least there's no eye-patch :)

Anne said...

this is hysterically awesome. and awesomely hysterical. when can you come visit.

Anonymous said...

Captain Jack Sparrow? Not so much!
I say ship your weird malady off to sea and get better soon before you scare the whole neighborhood. Silly old pirate.

(We're actually relieved that everything appears to be fixable.)

. said...

That sucks, but somewhat sexy... If there is anyone who can pull off an eye patch it's Jason!

Shauna said...

I am so glad to hear that things are going to be ok. I sent you an email Jas, a response might be nice (hint-hint) Love you guys

The Bellyakers... said...

I hear the eye patch will go well with your spandex biking shorts (you know, the ones that Britton SWEARS he'll never be caught dead in!)

No more health drama for the Hansens please!!! Good grief! Enough for one little family!

Dave said...

Aye - avast practising on the poor lad. There be precious little seas for all of us landlubbers that wont show a little murk over time...he just don't deserve the mockin'.

Hold fast to that patch, Jack - methinks it's rather flatterin'

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

My pirate husband has the exact same eye patch from when he got a sliver stuck in his eye... And yeah... it's hard not to say Arrrrgh when you see them. So glad Jason is going to be okay. The first part of your email scared me. Keep us all posted on his progression.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you posed for the picture so I can't feel too sorry for you...take your antibiotics and get well!

Kasey said...

I only WISH I'd read this story BEFORE I rode Pirates of the Carribean at Disneyland this week - I would've been cracking up the entire time. Glad to hear he's on the mend!

Allison said...

I'm going to loan him my bedazzler so he can put some bling on there! Glad to hear that there is nothing too scary...other than the pirate, of course.

BIGSKYBLAST said...

You can tell how long it's been since I've been online! Jason, I hope things are getting better, but man, talk about a great halloween look, BEFORE the big day.

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Long time no hear from (nice grammar but you get my drift). Hope all is well there with you guys.

Gretchen said...

Where's me meeting? Hold me calls! Arrrgh! Too funny! I hope he is feeling better by now!

Anonymous said...

ARRRRRR Jason ar you aye pirate? Thats what I call pirate style baby yeah!! sorry about that it was a mouth full. Jason I hope you get better with that aye get it aye instead of eye. That is bad because of your eye.

Kari said...

Hope he has recovered by now!! Been thinking about you a ton lately and hoping that you and the clan are doing well ;)