Thursday, December 18, 2008

1 Week Old

I'm not sure if it is because Emmett is my last baby but I am so loving every minute with him! I am somewhat hesitant to gush on and on about him, for fear that I'll jinx what we've got going on, but I can't help myself. Emmett has the sweetest, most calm and pleasant demeanor I could have hoped for. He is also proving to be a farily decent sleeper going 5-6 hours at a stretch. People have said, and I have found it to be true, that having a baby at this time of year is wondeful. The season is already such a happy time that it only seems natural to add more joy with a newborn!
Having a baby also teaches many important life lessons. Here are a few "lessons learned" in the last 7 days.

1) There are few things that melt a heart like a smile from a sleeping baby. If we could all be content with so little.

2) There is nothing like a Gramma to delight and bring joy to your children. (Not to mention bringing joy to Jason and I in the form of - dinner, clean laundry, entertaining the siblings and chauffering a healing Mommy.)

3) It isn't wise to try on your pre-maternity jeans 6 days after delivering. Just don't do it.

4) It is wise to stay in the hospital for as long as they allow if you have children at home. By the time I went home, I was in a much better place, mentally and physically by staying that extra day.

5) It is true that your heart does grow with each new addition to the family. There is more love to share when you thought it impossible to love any other children more than those you already have.

6) Going to sleep on your back is a wonderful way to sleep! I have missed it so.

5 comments:

Anne said...

so happy for you guys!

Mrs. B said...

Amen to #6--I miss it so much! And I will take all your advice to heart. Glad you are enjoying Emmett. He is adorable.

banananutmeg said...

Hey, it's the perfect year for your family to do a live reading of the the nativity story for Christmas with a sweet little baby as part of your cast! He's so sweet.

Kasey said...

That last comment was from me. A friend of mine used my computer to post tonight and I didn't realize I was still logged in as her!

Life in the Oliver Lane! said...

So sweet. I am so excited to meet the little man.I hope you are feeling well and are ready to play soon.