Friday, May 23, 2008

Father and Sons Campout

A week ago, Jackson and I went on the annual Church Father and Sons campout up in Lake Alatoona, which is about 45 min north of Atlanta. Unfortunately, it started by getting lost and driving around for an extra 90 min but wefinally made it.

We had plenty of time to cook our hot dogs and chow down on some s'mores (a lot of s'mores). Jackson had never had one before and his first was not his last. After a short program by the Church leadership, we headed off to our luxurious two man tent for bed. I realized that when camping, an 8 year old's clock gets kind of messed up as Jackson stayed awake until at least midnight (probably longer, but I drifted off). At 3 a.m., it started raining very heavily. This, of course, woke Jackson up, who then woke me up to tell me that he was awake and it was raining. After an hour of heavy rain, we both went back to bed, only to wake up again as soon as their was daylight at 5:45 (did I mention an 8 year old's clock get kind of messed up?). We headed to breakfast, which consisted of eggs, pancakes, bacon and cereal. After the whole evening, we were pretty exhausted (okay, at least I was pretty exhausted).

Still, Jackson said, 'Dad, this was one of the best days of my life.' While, sleep derived, I could only say the truth, 'Me too, buddy.' I wouldn't have it any other way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Jason, it's good to hear from the masculine side of the family. Father and son buddies -- I love it!

Anonymous said...

One more thing -- Dad read this and laughed heartily through the whole thing. I wonder why!

BIGSKYBLAST said...

Still and all, Jason. I'm betting that your comment years down the line will be the same as we heard at General Conference. Do you remember? The best day of my life? The day of my last CAMPOUT with my son!

Allison said...

So cute! Nate had an "episode" with s'mores at a camp out and hasn't had one since. Glad to hear the trip was everything it should be!

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

I know you both will treasure these experiences together forever... You are such a great dad Jason... and a good friend as well to Jackson :)