Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Buddy

This blog is not about bragging. It is merely an expression of awe over my 3rd child. I am by no means declaring her my favorite mind you, but she has been the easiest of my three, hands down! When Jackson and Kate were 3 years old, both they and I were ready for a few days of preschool each week. Against my better judgement, I enrolled Ava in preschool this year and then withdrew her when one month I realized that I'd paid a month's tuition and only taken her twice. I'd only taken her twice because she slept until 9am every morning and was then much fun that I hated to part with her.


One day last week, Ava and I went to a Mommy and Me swim class, followed by a trip to the gym and then we rounded out our afternoon by sharing a salad on the patio at Chipotle. (That's right, she even likes to eat salad for lunch - sounds too good to be true doesn't it?) My other children would have complained about my lunch selection ad nauseum, until I finally caved and went next door for some chicken nuggets but not Ava. As I sat on the patio chatting with her, I realized that I couldn't have asked for a more perfectly suited little buddy. Her good natured temperment allows her to go with the flow and tolerate so much of the running around that we do. I just love that she is happy to hang with me and I am so lucky to be able to spend most days enjoying her company. I am especially grateful to have the mornings with her because once Jackson and Kate get home from school she often has to take a backseat to them and their activities. I know that if I have more children there is no chance to duplicate this little spirit so I am going to enjoy every minute I still have her at home with me. From experience, I've seen that the time goes by WAY too quickly!

Lest I forget, here are a few things that I have recently thought, "I love it when she does that".
* She says, "I snuggle you", when she wants me to hold her.
* Answers "Sure" or "I help you" and smiles whenever I ask her to come help me with a chore.
* She loves to cuddle up and read a story.
* She howls like a wolf (will add a video clip of this soon) when she wakes up in the morning and giggles when we howl back. For the life of us, we have no idea where she got this from!
* She sucks her thumb and rubs her "lovie's" ear when she needs comfort. I know that I should care that she is still sucking her thumb but I really don't.
* She greets me with an ear to ear smile when I open her door after she gets up.
* She can tell when I'm tired or sick and suggests that we "go sleep".

11 comments:

BIGSKYBLAST said...

If....then....but who would?
Make any sense, Carrie?

She IS A DOLL!

the andersons said...

So cute, so cute, so cute! I'm glad you posted this. Makes us feel like we know Ava a bit better. I'm glad you guys have lots of time to spend together.

Shauna said...

First off, it is about stinking time! What are you busy or something? JK! I am so glad to see you putting posts up. Ok now on to your post...I say this same thing about Meagan. She is such a good natured little kid and is my little tag along and we just have a blast together. The Lord really knows what we need and when we need it. I think I will be very sad when she goes off to preschool next fall.

Anonymous said...

Every mommy needs a buddy! It's such a special time for both.

Question: Are you fertilizing her hair or did it just decide to grow on its own?

angela said...

she is scrumptious! I loved having a girls lunch with the two of you this week. I will always remember her cute smile to the waiter "you bring me cookie? I love cookies!" She had him wrapped around her little finger with her cuteness.

Kasey said...

Ah, this post made me miss Ava! She is too cute for words. It reminded me of when you asked her to bring me a bar of soap. From the top of the stairs she started calling my name to let me know that she had a special delivery for me - too sweet!

Anonymous said...

She's just darling! I can't wait to see her TOMORROW!

Anonymous said...

impossible to brag too much about that cutie! Zach actually cried in the car the other day when I had to burst his bubble and tell him that we were going to the store and not Ava's house. She is contagiously cute!

Allison said...

I hope you guys are always buddies!

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Love that girl! Her lisp is too cute. I love the way she says "eth-cuthe me". And those dimples are to die for :)

Love ya

An said...

Your third sounds a lot like my third. She is so easy and pleasant and fun to be with. I think of her as my crowing achievement :)