Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wonderful Wednesdays and Lost Tooth


Look at the cute missing front tooth. Jackson lost his first tooth on the top on Monday. Here is a close up of his darling new smile!
Jackson and I have come up with a few times each week where we do some fun educational projects. One of them is called Wonderful Story Wednesday. I am trying to get him to come up with original writing ideas and expand on them. This was the most difficult thing for Jackson in 1st grade. I was talking to Jason's Mom (a recently retired elementary school teacher) about it and she gave me a great idea. It is called the 5 finger paragraph. For the first finger, the child introduces the story in one sentence. The next 3 fingers are a sentence each and are details about the idea. The last finger is a sentence that concludes or sums up the story. We also talked about editing and worked together on moving sentences around for a better flow. This was very easy for Jackson and not stressful! Here is his first entry. Enjoy!

Kate’s Leukemia
I have a sister named Kate and she has leukemia. Leukemia is a sickness in your blood that is called cancer. Kate must take medicine for two years. She has a port under her skin where they put the medicine. I hope Kate will get better soon.

1 comment:

Allison said...

That is such a cute picture! I love the creative writing idea too.