Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Dreaded D Word


I don't know about you parents but our third grader's school year was filled with project after project.  That means that the last year of my life was one project after another.  Normally I didn't mind so much but the second to last assignment of the year was to read a fantasy book and then do a diorama of a scene from the book.  He also had to type up step-by-step instructions of how he made his diorama.  Oh, how I cringed when I read the word DIORAMA. Don't ask why, people. I don't know.  Perhaps it is because I am more scientific minded (translation - NOT creative) but ever since my own diorama fiascos in elementary school I seriously loathe that word. Thank goodness for small miracles, Jackson knew exactly what he wanted to do and came up the ideas on his own.  We spent a couple of evenings helping him fine tune a few details but he did the bulk of this project.  
After all of his work though, he wanted to keep the diorama forever.  I wanted it gone within a week.  The compromise - keep it around for a couple of weeks and then take a picture of him with the project and blog about it.  As you can see, now we have it forever. :)

3 comments:

Anne Hatch said...

Great job, Jackson...tell your mom you want to put it on the mantle in the family room!

BIGSKYBLAST said...

Good Job, Jackson.
Here's a suggestion. If you REALLY want to keep your project, get Mom to give you a "tote" to put in the basement for your "special things"...then the little "kids" won't be able to get to it 'cause you KNOW what will happen then.

Grandma STILL has some totes from CJ, Kurt and Uncle Kyle! Maybe even, Mom, too! (and it ISN'T on the den mantle, Carolyn...shame on you Ann!)

Mary said...

Hey! I love dioramas. Seriously. But, I think the best part is the fact that he used Fablehaven as his book! Ummm, I think I recognize the scene.