Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Grandma Reichstetter

Today is my Grandma Reichstetter's birthday.  She died of lung cancer when I was only 9 years old and that still makes me sad every time I think about it.  There are so many things that I would have liked to have shared with her since that time.  Although I was young when she left the earth, these are a few of the things that I remember about her.

- She would waggle her index finger at me, feigning displeasure when I would sit in her rocking chair.  Apparently I loved the attention because I looked for every opportunity to hop in her seat (even if the arm on the chair fell off every time I touched it).
- She had a "secret attic" entrance in her closet that I found completely amazing.
- She could feed squirrels from her hand.
- She had a beagle named Holly that she loved dearly.  When Holly died, my Mom had to go and collect all of her belongings because it made my Grandma too sad to see them.
- She had a cookie tin in the kitchen and always made sure to give us some treats when we visited.  I remember buying her stickers to go on the tin that said "Keep Out" because we were always trying to snitch more.
- She taught me how to play solitaire.
- She could peel an apple in one long peel and on that note, made an amazing apple pie.
- She encouraged my Mom to put me in gymnastics because I literally rolled all over her house.
- She collected Hummel figurines.
- She had a beautiful flower garden in front of her house in the Oaks.
- Made the best creamed corn ever.
- I knew that she loved me and I loved to be around her.

3 comments:

SHANNA said...

that is so sweet! grandmothers are the best.

Anne Hatch said...

I wish I could've know your Grandma Reichstetter...sweet tribute, Carolyn!

BIGSKYBLAST said...

YIKES! Remind me to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER read blogs at the register at work anymore...I just read your tribute to Grandma...thank you So much. She was a good woman.