Friday, January 04, 2008

Happy Early MLK Day?

Well, Christmas has come and gone and then New Year's too, yet yesterday I still had a stack of cards on my table that were mocking me from a distance. They taunted me as if to say, "What will you do now that you've procrastinated the holidays away - what will become of us and what shall you call us?" I needed a new plan and a new name for those pesky newsletters too. I was debating calling them "The cards formerly known as Christmas cards" or %^ but think that I have settled on Happy Early Martin Luther King Day or maybe even Happy (Very Early) Valentines Day.
In any case, pretend not to notice that everything that adorns the card has Merry Christmas somewhere on it or think of it as a belated Christmas present from us to you! :)
The reason for my tardiness you ask? I am ill. I might have a medical condition requiring medication because I am completely unable to tear myself away from a good book. The promise of reading it the next day holds little comfort and I find myself completly engrossed until I have turned the last page (just ask Jason who was begging me to turn out the light at 1:30am). So, over the last 2 weeks I have read the 3 wonderful books I got for Christmas and have not been able to stop myself. Check out my reviews to the side for latest, but only after you've completed everything on your "to do" list!
1. Book of a Thousand Days
2. The Accidental Mother
3. The Thirteenth Tale

12 comments:

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Honey...being engrossed in a good book is not an illness requiring medication... it's just good common sense!!

Anonymous said...

You didn't write a review about Book of a Thousand Days. I am reading that right now and I do like it but so far it isn't my favorite. I don't think the journal type book is captivating me, but I hear it is wonderful so I am still plugging along. Of course I have been reading it since Christmas. I am a little slower than you. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

oooh I LOVED the 13th tale. I was going to lend you mine because I seriously couldn't put it down. I had to lock myself in the bathroom (in a bathtub with no ice, fleece or hot chocolate mind you)to read it in peace.

Kasey said...

Chinese New Year is in February if you choose to procrastinate past MLK!

I just ordered The Thirteenth Tale a few days ago and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival! Love your reviews.

BIGSKYBLAST said...

All right...sorry to burst your bubble (and the same for your support group!)

You're a sick, sick, sick woman. Obsessive, compulsive...running a marathon AND a book marathon at the same time. Hmmmm....though, maybe that's the ONLY way you'll actually rest your physical body...OK, so maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

SO sorry that you got the OC genes, too.

An said...

No one cares when they get your letter, they just love getting it. I can't wait to get it!

Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds like a very understanding man.

Kari said...

I'm just glad to know I wasn't left off the list again ... or was I? I managed to get mine postmarked on Dec. 31st but that isn't saying much - I haven't blogged in a month and don't have a single book to show for it! Another goal for the new year (since I bought Twilight at least 4 months ago and THAT is what sits and mocks me)!! Thanks for the reviews - my friend forced me to start a list over at good reads so now I have a few more to add to my "to-read" cue :)

Carolyn Hansen said...

Kari,
Of course you weren't left off the list! I loved your Christmas card too. I love the matching girls!

Oh, and ha-ha Jason (I mean anonymous commentor) :)

Amy said...

I loved the 13th Tale! It was one of those books that made me oblivious to everything around me, much to the dismay of my children and husband. Thanks for your other recommendations--I need a good book.

Tanya said...

At least you have a book problem and not a TV problem like 95% of the rest of the world. Anyway, are you thinking about registering for Spudman on Monday?

Anonymous said...

Shauna, even my 87 year old mother loves Book of a Thousand Days! Keep reading. I'll bet your "interesting brother" would even like it. Umm, maybe not!