Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Victory Party

After the race I went back to the room and took an ice bath. Then Kate, Ava and I all laid down for a nap while the boys went out for some lunch. Amazingly, I was the first one awake from the nap and the girls slept for a total of 4 hours! (Maybe it had something to do with us waking them up at 5am and not getting to bed until 9pm for the previous 2 days). When Kate woke up she was so back to her normal happy self and was so excited to go to "the ball", as she called it.


The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's -Team in Training had an amazing "ball" (aka victory party) the night of the marathon. All 1,900 runners and family members were present for the celebration. Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy were there for photo ops which was a huge plus in Kate's book! There was yummy food and dancing, dancing, dancing.



Quick story - After the race a guy came up to us to take our picture. He made mention of something about "my son". I quickly told him that she was my daughter, no big deal really but I didn't want Kate to feel bad. When we got to the party the same man came up to me and asked me if I remembered him. I actually didn't but he recounted the story and apologized again. He asked Kate if she'd go up and dance with him and she hopped right up to head to the dance floor. He told her not quite yet but he'd grab her later. Then he heads up to the stage where he begins to DJ the party. Turns out that he is the MC and travels all over the coutry to TNT races and DJ's the parties. He also photographs the race and puts a slide show together of those pics. Turns out that he took the BEST picture of us too. Here is a picture of the slide but we are working on getting the actual shot because it was so good.




Kate was itching to get to the dance floor so we headed out to get the party started. I so wish that I'd had my video camera to show you how that little girl was bouncing her hips and getting her groove on but a picture or two will have to suffice.
Here is a picture of the DJ showing off his "Kate button" which TNT made for our team to wear during the race.





The DJ asked Kate if she was ready for a dance and then brought her up onto the stage. It was cracking me up to watch this girl shake it and dance in front of thousands of people without batting an eye. Kids are so funny - sometimes they can be shy in the presence of a single person and other times not mind an audience of a thousand! Here the DJ was teaching Kate the cabbage patch. Hilarious!





Kate danced nearly the entire 2 hours. Only pausing for a character photo-op and then was back on the dance floor. One of the neatest moments (and one that I'll remember my entire life) was when the entire dance floor formed a huge circle and everyone was taking turns dancing in the center (high school flashbacks anyone). Anyway, Kate hopped out in the middle and strutted her stuff for a second when the DJ said "Group Hug". Everyone closed in tightly and my friends and I were right next to Kate, then the purple and green confetti shower started. This really was like a scene in a movie. I look down at Kate and see that her angelic face, surrounded by bodies in looking upward with a smile pure happiness at the confetti coming down. The DJ was playing the last song of the night, Simply the Best by Tina Turner. We were all singing and hugging with tears streaming down our faces after we saw Kate's reaction to the moment. It was magical. I am sure that I haven't conveyed the moment as I felt it but hope you could catch a glimpse of the magic.


We left the evening on such a high that I think rivaled the marathon. It was very touching to see Kate having so much fun and living in the moment. My teammates were so wonderful with Kate and made her feel so special. We are going to miss them so much. Love you guys!

9 comments:

Kari said...

I am *speechless* (which is big for me)!! I'm completely choked up at just the thought of having been a part of it all - I can't imagine what the entire experience must have felt like to be a real part of. Thanks so much for allowing us who are far away to have experienced just a little bit of the magic that you and so many helped to create for yourselves, Kate, and the Leukemia & Lymphoma society!! Love you, Carolyn!!

Mrs. B said...

I got goosebumps and misty-eyed, so I think you did a good job conveying the experience. Wow and amazing to all your new posts.

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Totally crying over here... You DO have a lyrical soul Carolyn. You described how you felt perfectly. I can only imagine how special it was for everyone there. Kate is such a special little girl and is very much loved !!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience for all of you! I'm so happy for you! There is lots of love coming your way from San Antonio!

BIGSKYBLAST said...

Would love to have been a "fly on the wall".

Tanya said...

What an amazing experience for all of you! And how neat that you were able to share such a fun, exciting, and touching night with Kate.

Kasey said...

I've been checking your blog twice a day since the 9th in anticipation of this post!

The fact that I have tears streaming off of my chin while reading this post is evidence of your ability tell a story and relay your true emotions.

I'm so impressed with your entire adventure and what an amazing mother and wife you are. Congrats on your accomplishment! Can't wait to hug you in May. :)

Anonymous said...

What I would have done to be there for that....

Anonymous said...

I LOVED reading about the "ball" and seeing the photos (love those swivel hips). Your words make tears flow -- I definitely give you a score of "10" for voice and a "10" for subject and a -- Heck! I just give you a "10." Kate, too!

A fantastic experience. All good!