Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Few Bits of Writing

*Note* - This entry is mostly for the Grandmas.

Jackson's strengths are definitely math and science. Getting him to sit down and write is usually a struggle but once he gets started he does very well. I was kind of worried about his writing level until recently when his teacher told us that he is an uncommonly good writer (especially for a boy). When we told Jackson that his teacher said he was a good writer he responded, "I still like math and science better". Oh, well.

This is an example of his weekly writing assignments. Each Monday Jackson has to choose at least 10 of his spelling words and create a story. This one is titled The True Blue Hero.



This is a "persuasion" piece of writing. While at school last week he was apparently told to write about something that he wanted and to try and convince the reader to give it to him or to see his point of view. My favorite part about this story is that Jackson actually expected it to work! He very seriously handed me the letter after school and told me "Just take your time and think about it. Okay?" I had to fight to hold back a smile. When I finished reading his letter he looked at me and asked for an answer. When I told him that we didn't have any trees in our back yard that were suitable for a treehouse he responded, "All that work for nothing!" It took all I had to not laugh.

6 comments:

Amy said...

That was so cute. I love the things my kids bring home from school. Jackson is a really good speller! And he was so polite in his persuasive letter...no wonder he thought it would work.

BIGSKYBLAST said...

Jackson, you're incredible!
I LOVED the True Blue Hero. You did a GREAT JOB! It was so well put together. I couldn't wait to find out the end of the story!

Now, Mom and Dad -- How can you refuse such a GREAT persuasive treehouse. Jackson...Grandma and Papa will see if we can find plans for a "treehouse"! Maybe we'll even come out with hammers, nails and paint!

the andersons said...

Jackson, what great writing! We enjoyed reading them.

Anonymous said...

Awesome writing, Jackson. If I were your teacher, I'd give you a SUPER PLUS!!

Anonymous said...

Ok... seriously.... that last letter about the tree house is the most adorable thing! My favorite... "Shouldn't you reward me? Take your time to decide,..." How profound for an 8 year old!

Kari said...

I want to build the poor kid a treehouse ... talk about persuasive!! Awesome writing samples ;) I love to see and hear what the kids come up with!!