Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Good Day Gone Bad

Today was a perfect spring day in Atlanta. We had blue, sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 70's. The kids are on spring break so the day began very leisurely. After hanging out we packed a picnic lunch and headed to the train park. We had the best time all together. Jackson and I tore it up with the aerobie for over an hour. Then he played on the swings until his legs were all worn out. Ava and Kate spent quite a bit of time in the sandbox and followed it up with swinging. I had a Zen moment in the park, watching my kids playing so happily and full of pure joy. Do you know what I mean - when the moment feels perfect?

Almost immediately after that perfect moment, I felt a flicker of worry. Kate complained that she was cold and then kept rubbing her arms. Toward the end of our time there she laid down on our picnic blanket and rolled herself up in it. She said that she wasn't feeling sick and she didn't feel warm to me (probably because I was sweating) so I didn't press it and just let her relax while the other kids finished playing. After a fun 3 hours we headed home for naps. Kate requested a nap (which further concerned me but I pushed it out of my mind). When I checked on sleeping Kate, I noticed that she was breathing very rapidly - 48 times a minute. I busted out the thermometer and she was at 104 degrees! Ughhhh. The moment I read that temp all of those serene feelings dissolved and were promptly replaced with anxiety.

Kate was much more upset this time too. (I mean the poor girl just left the hospital 9 days ago!) She even cried on the way to the hospital and told me that she just wanted to be at home. My eyes too, filled with tears for her sadness.
So here we are again. Kate's ANC is 430 and she has a fever so we're in the hospital for at least 2 days. Hopefully the blood cultures will come up negative in the next 2 days and they'll let us go. This is most decidely not the way to spend spring break!

6 comments:

BIGSKYBLAST said...

What a roller coaster...My eyes filled up, too, when I read about Kate's tears. She's stood up like a real champ for everything that she's had to go through. What a champion! Please give her a big hug and kiss from Grandma and Papa! Make sure there's an extra one for you, too, hon.

Kari said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you're back at the hospital ... especially after such a wonderful morning (I know "that moment" you referred to)! {{{HUGS}}} to you all and prayers that you are home soon!

Kasey said...

Oh, Carolyn! I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are at the hospital again. Please tell Kate how many people are praying for her and send her our love. We'll be thinking about high counts and low temps.

Mrs. B said...

That makes me so sad for Kate. I'm glad you could have such happy moments with your kids and sorry that it didn't last all day. Good luck and our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Hansens! We love you!

SHANNA said...

poor kate. my heart breaks for your family..... how frustrating to have such a beautiful relaxing day only for it to end so dramatically...