Saturday, June 09, 2007

Summer Swim Meets

Go Barracudas!

Fly King

New Backstroke Personal Best 25.00 seconds

Well, it is swim team season and I am loving it! We have won our first 2 swim meets and last week we beat a team that we have never beaten before. I am most decidedly a competitive person (ask anyone who has ever played Scattegories with me) and I get very excited watching the teams compete. There are so many last minute calls and it is completely acceptable to scream words of encouragement during the races. I love it! The kids love the competition but here is their top 5 reasons why they love swim team-
1. Pushing the coaches in the pool when they win and then jumping in themselves.
2. Getting ice cream at Brusters when the meet ends.
3. Learning new team cheers and seeing what funny costumes the coaches wear to the meets each week.
4. Getting cool ribbons!
5. Writing all over themselves with Sharpies before the meet. (This was new to me but something that all swimmers do?!)

The team has daily practice for an hour and a half. Kate hasn't been to even one practice because she's been too tired and Jackson hasn't missed a practice. Kate did however, want to compete in the first meet and did great! She swam her freestyle and backstroke quite slowly but deliberately and with good form. Jackson is the youngest in his 8 and under age group and is learning to worry only about his time and trying to improve it. With the new age group comes the new strokes of butterfly and breast. He is pretty darn good at butterfly but not too sure about breast stroke. He took 4th place in fly and 1st in backstroke in the last meet. I am really enjoying watching him hop out of the pool and ask the timer what his time was and not look around to see what place he came in. He is also learning about how his winnings contribute to the team winning. All good stuff... These are a few pictures of Kate is her swim meet.

Nice Backstroke!

Kate's Freestyle side breathing

Peek-a-Boo

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Good to hear from you Carolyn! Gwen actually sent me a link to Kate's blog, which is such a good idea to keep everyone up to date. I also told Shauna I was going to call her to get your address. My kids obviously don't know Kate, but we have some cards they made to send to her. So, send me your address. What a cute family you are!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Tanya,
My address is:
2799 Ponderosa Circle
Decatur, GA 30033
Thanks so much for thinking of Kate! We will hopefully get out there for our family reunion and would love to meet your cute family in person.

Tanya said...

Got it. For sure let me know if you'll be around this summer. We'd love to see you all - I just can't believe Jackson is going to grade school!! I remember him in the infant carrier.

An said...

There are two kinds of swimmers in this world, Carolyn: backstrokers and breaststrokers. I have never met someone who loves both. I am happy to see that Jackson is a backstroker...they tend to be more intelligent and good looking :) Not that I'm biased...