Friday, February 22, 2008

The Spirit of the Marathon

I don't know if any of you have heard of this documentary, but I saw the encore performance last night in the theater and was wowed. This film highlighted 6 different individuals training for the Chicago marathon. They had vastly varied skill levels - from first timer, to 65 year old runner, to the 1st place hopeful- amazing Kenyan and bronze medal olympic winner Deena Kastor.
The producers and cinematographers did an amazing job of capturing the spirit of the event from the perspective of the novice to the true competitor. Maybe it's because I am so close from my 1st marathon but I was brought to tears several times during the movie. I really felt their pain, hopes, struggles and dream. It was very powerful...
If you've ever thought about running a race (any race) you should watch this movie when it comes out on DVD. It will inspire you to set a goal and meet it!

5 comments:

BIGSKYBLAST said...

Only races I've even run were to the Fridge and the COUCH! but I do appreciate people who go for the gold...I'll try to see thisone.

Unknown said...

can't wait--you make it sound so awesome!

Tanya said...

Shucks! I forgot about the encore. I missed the first showing in Jan and thought, "Feb is so far away, I'll for sure make time for this". Here I totally forgot. Let me know when you hear that it comes out on DVD.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but think of this quote from Paul Coelho:

" . . . I was struggling to establish myself as a . . . and to follow my path despite all the voices telling me it was impossible . . . and little by little, my dream was becoming reality." Paul Coelho

Kari said...

If the movie is even close to as inspiring as it has been to watch you train for your recent races I'm sure it is amazing!! YOU have inspired me! I've been asked to train for a triathalon in April and am seriously considering it ... even with only 8 weeks to train!