Sunday, September 16, 2007

I'm that wife

Kate had the week off of chemo last Thursday while her body was trying to build her counts back up. As luck would have it, my tennis team needed me to play in a home match that morning so I agreed. I dropped the kids off at my friend's home and headed to the courts at 10:30.
Well, all three matches before mine went to 3 sets and it was after 11:30 by the time I got onto the court. As the match began I realized that my friend, Clairon, had to leave to pick her son up from kindergarten and she wasn't going to have enough room in her car with both of my kids and her 3 children.
I frantically called Jason's cell phone and then his office but couldn't get a hold of him. I lastly called his lab to try and track him down with hopes that he could pick the kids up and bring them to the court. Luckily, his tech, Michael, answered the phone and I asked him if I could talk to Jason. Michael said, "He said that he's in the middle of an experiment". To which I replied, "Well, tell him that I'm in the middle of a tennis match". (Try to imagine those words being spoken with a head-bob and a particularly sassy tone.) I swear, as the words were coming out of my mouth I couldn't have felt more ridiculous - unless perhaps I also stomped my foot and demanded a pony!
I'm not that kind of wife! Right?
Lucky for me, I have an amazingly understanding husband and he saved the day by bringing the kids to court where my teammates watched them for the remaining 1/2 hour. Sadly, I lost 7-5, 6-4 but Jason scored big points with me! I'll have to think of a way to make it up to him.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Don't we all have those moments where the words coming out of our mouth aren't really our own. It's part of being a woman. I have many of those moments. Love it! And what a fabulous, supportive husband you have.

Anonymous said...

Jason is amazing...you owe him big time!:)

Sorry about the tennis match!

Love you,
Anne

Kari said...

I've had my fair share of those type of comments ... and Steve still loves me and steps up to the plate for me every time :) True devotion ... gotta love it! Sorry you didn't win your match - you'll get 'em next time ;)

Anonymous said...

Actually-- didn't Jason owe you one from a lost round of Hand & Foot? I recall a few bets that were never cashed in! Ok, I know-- one should never get in the middle of another's marital affairs. Great story though...
Linds